Sunday 12 March 2023

Book Review: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

 The Secret Garden

by

Frances Hodgson Burnett

Publisher: Puffin Classics
Publication date: First published 1911 my edition published in 2010
Genre: Children's Middle Grade
Pages: 340
Format: Hardcover
Source: Own
 

My review of The Secret Garden

Many thanks to Tracey @CarpeLibrum for suggesting a buddy read for this book. I had this beautiful hardcover edition published by Puffin Classics sitting on my shelf just waiting to be enjoyed.

This was my first reading of The Secret Garden and I loved it!
I'm sure everyone knows the story; after Mary's parents die from the bubonic plague she is sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle. After living the first 10 years of her life with absent parents it's nothing to Mary to now live in the manor with an absent uncle.

I loved that the adults mostly take a back seat in this novel. They are quite often baffled by Mary but mostly leave her to her own devices (and non of them are electronic). Mary learns to run, laugh, play and take an interest in the natural environment around her. As Mary spent time outdoors I could practically see her morph from a stubborn, bitter girl to a lively, happy girl.

There is a lot in this book that will appeal to children; a  wild stubborn girl, a boy that is attuned to nature, a locked door mystery and a neglected garden that the children bring back to life.
 
The Secret Garden is a truly delightful book filled with the healing magic of nature, positive thinking and above all friendship.

Below is a quote from Sophie Dahl's introduction.
" Even the most cynical reader would be hard pressed to remain unmoved by The Secret Garden"
My edition concludes with notes on the author and the characters, plus things to think about, questions to ponder and ideas for your own garden.
 
My rating 5/ 5   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
 
recommended age: 6 - 100 
 
Challenges: Mount TBR over on The Burgeoning Bookshelf
 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Fledgewitch by Lian Tanner

Fledgewitch A Dragons of Hallow book by Lian Tanner Illustrated by Martina Heiduczek   Publisher: Allen & Unwin Publication date: 3rd Ap...